Chronological Timeline – A History of St. Isidore Church
2010 St. Isidore parishioners vote overwhelmingly to proceed with the building of the new, and third edition, of St. Isidore Church. Construction is scheduled to begin in the Fall of 2010.
2009 Church steeple and bell are removed from historic building due to safety concerns. In the same year, an application to designate St. Isidore Chuch as a Heritage Building is discarded by Ottawa City Council.
2006 Parish engages architect to begin plans on a new church building
1987 The 100th anniversary of the church was celebrated.
1979 The church hall was opened.
1976 Fr. Francis J. McEvoy encouraged the ladies of the parish to re-establish the Catholic Women’s League which had faded from lack of support in the early 1970’s.
Current – St Isidore Church built in 1887
1966 The church interior is changed to conform to the new liturgy and language changes made under Vatican II.
1961 A new organ was purchased for $1,595. Around this time, the beautiful lighted cross was donated by Ed and Laura Kennedy and installed in the steeple.
1946 The beautiful statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary was installed on the front lawn of the rectory.
1934 Fr. Philip C. Harris organized the installation of the memorial stained glass windows. Indoor plumbing was installed in the rectory at a cost of $322.44.
1927 Under the direction of Fr. John Cunningham, 35 ladies of the parish gathered in the rectory to form St. Isidore Catholic Women’s League.
1924 The first telephone bill amounting to $20.28 for the year was paid to the Monk Rural Telephone Company.
1922 Electricity came to St. Isidore. $974 was spent on wiring and fixtures for the church and rectory.
1900 Rev. Thomas John Brownrigg became the first full-time resident priest of the parish.
1899 The rectory was completed.
1898 A five-acre field was purchased, a cemetery was established, and a rectory was under construction.
1891 A 740-pound bell, which was christened St. Anne, is purchased from Mr. Henry McShane. It was blessed by Archbishop Duhamel on November 15.
1888 Original log chapel demolished at a cost of $55
1887 The present church is built on present-day site. It is blessed by Archbishop Duhamel on October 9.
1883 “The Mission of March” is called “St. Isidore” by Archbishop Joseph Thomas Duhamel of Ottawa in a pastoral letter.
1869 The first funeral was on July 12 for Michael Ahearn, 75 years old; the priest was Fr. Molloy, the witnesses were Pat Carroll and Pat Murphy.
1850 Original log chapel enlarged to meet growing needs of the rural settlers
1836 Original “Mission of March” log chapel erected
1820 March Township is founded; receives first settlers.